Historical Notes

  • 1749. Town voted to support the gospel

  • 1763, first meeting house was built in Peterborough and decided to seek a minister

  • 1772/1777, second meeting house was built on East Hill

  • While building the church, the workers had daily rum rations

  • Starting in 1834, two stoves provided heat, then in1876, they were replaced by a furnace

  • Usually two hour services plus an afternoon service

  • In 1926, the church no longer sold pews. Pew records retained

  • New slate roof in 1975, at a cost of $15,000.

  • 1976 Sesquicentennial (150th year) and restoration of church.