Come join us now that we are back in operation.
Free Community Suppers, every Wednesday evening at 5:30 pm
Enjoy fellowship and a good meal.
- vegetarian or meat marinara spaghetti
- fresh garlic bread
- fresh salad
- juice, milk, coffee, tea
Help in the kitchen is always appreciated. ConVal High school students are encouraged to volunteer for Community Service hours!
Since 2003, a free spaghetti supper has been served to an average of 100 people each week (@52,000 meals). Originally supported by the Peterborough Unitarian Universalist Church, the supper is completely volunteer-led (by volunteers ranging in age from 10 to 90) and has received small grants from organizations such as NH Charitable Foundation and other area foundations.
The mission has been to provide dinner in a social setting for a diverse cross-section of Monadnock area residents; to feed residents for whom the cost of food is a challenge; to provide an opportunity for community service and training for ConVal and Conant students where they interact with a diverse population that they might not otherwise know. In addition, the supper has enabled participants to practice their principles: respect for our local community and the environment by buying local foods (organic when possible/affordable), using real china, silverware and glasses rather than disposables, and teaching and mandating recycling.
The Peterborough Community supper serves spaghetti and whole grain rotini, meat sauce and vegetarian sauce, fresh garlic bread, fresh tossed salad, southwest bean salad, coffee, milk, juices and fresh fruit. Desserts are donated each week by people from both the Church and local community.
We have received several grants over the years, which help to cover the costs of food (along with money put into a collection bowl each week at the supper). In 2011 it became difficult to cover the operating expenses of the supper and a group of supporters appealed to members and friends to make an individual donation to the supper. The money received paid for kitchen and dining room renovations, which were required to meet local fire code.